Many people think they can’t get a decent cardio workout at home but I’m here to show you that’s not true! Cardiovascular exercise is a crucial part of weight loss and weight management. If you are one of the many people out there who hate to run, here are some easy and fun alternatives to get your cardio that you can do in the comfort of your own home!
1. Stairs - Step up on the first step and then back down. Then step up to the first and then the second step and step back down to the first stair. Step from the second to the third and back down to the second and so on and so forth to the top of the stairs and then go all the way back down. Repeat this three times. You should do this quickly, like a jogging pace.
2. Mountain climbers - Start in the push up position on the floor with hands shoulder width apart. Bring your knees up one at a time into your chest. The faster you go the more you’ll burn so go as fast as you can for 30 seconds and then rest for 30 seconds. Repeat this three times.
3. Jumping jacks - Do five normal and on the fifth one jump up as high as you can. Do this 25-30 times.
4. Invisible jump rope - Use your arms as if you are holding a jump rope and twirl your wrists hopping over the invisible rope every time your hands point downward. Do 50-60 small jumps in place then rest for a minute.
5. Squat jumps - Start in the squat position (back straight, knees over toes) and reach your arms upwards towards the ceiling jumping as high as you can and coming back down into the squat position.
6. Lunge jumps – Start in the lunge position with your right foot forward and in one motion jump and switch legs so when you land you are in the lunge position with your left foot forward. Keep arms out with fingers locked in front of you for balance. Hands on your hips with elbows out works too.
7. High kicks – Stand shoulder width apart, knees bent and arms up in boxer position at chin height. Swivel your left foot to the right and kick as high as you can twisting your torso and keeping your foot flexed. Repeat for the other leg. Do this quickly until winded. (This is fun to do listening to an up-beat song kicking along to the fast beat!)
8. Workout DVD - Try a workout DVD, sometimes you need a little motivation and having Jillian Michaels tell you what to do is phenomenal encouragement!
9. Walk it out – No matter where you live walking is always an option. And don’t underestimate it either. Walking is a great form of cardiovascular exercise. Take it to the next level by increasing your pace or adding ankle weights. Try to get the recommended 10,000 steps in everyday by wearing a pedometer.
10. Burpees – They might sound funny but they will seriously get your blood pumping. Begin in the squat position with your hands on the floor in front of you. In one motion, kick your feet back behind you so you are in the push-up position. Quickly return your feet to the squat position then immediately jump as high as you can with your hands reaching up above you towards the ceiling then return to the squat position and repeat.
Share this article