Leave it to my new BFF Pinterest (follow me) for last night’s dinner! I saw a picture of a broccoli-quinoa casserole by Linda at Eating Well, Living Thin and I had to try it! It was beyond easy to make, I had all of the ingredients handy, and it was Corey-approved! As a matter of fact, his exact words were, “I am a HUGE fan of this – please make this again!” It is a great comfort food without the comfort calories and makes for a great snack the next day
- One 10 oz can condensed Cream of Broccoli soup (or mushroom), low-sodium if you prefer
- 1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise (original called for 1 full cup. WOW.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cups reduced fat shredded cheese (cheddar, colby-jack, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon Splenda/sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- Feshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook quinoa according to directions on package. (I use stock instead of water to add flavor and I also add bouillon cubes when I add the quinoa to the boiling water)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a shallow (8×8 in or 5-6 cups) casserole dish – with vegetable cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl combine the soup, mayo, milk, shredded cheese, Splenda, pepper, and nutmeg until well mixed. Stir in the quinoa and broccoli.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared casserole. Sprinkle on a couple tablespoons of Parmesan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly on the edges and golden. Makes 8 generous 1/2-cup servings.